Scriptures Describing Abuse
compiled by Barbara Roberts
- Abuse in general
- Abusers tend to return to their abuse
- Physical abuse
- Verbal and emotional abuse
– withholding, countering, ‘jokes’, blocking and diverting, accusing and blaming, judging and criticising, trivialising, undermining, discounting, threatening, name-calling, forgetting, ordering, denial, abusive anger, lying, manipulation, false repentance, using privilege, narcissism and grandiose delusions, treating you like royalty
- The righteousness of the victim evokes fear and anger in the abuser
- Gifts with a sting in the tail
- Using the children and property as implements of abuse
- Stalking and other post-separation abuse
- Financial abuse and covetousness
- Sexual abuse
- Social and legal abuse
- Why abusers abuse
- This is a list of scriptures that describe abuse.
- This list does not include
- scriptures that condemn abuse
- scriptures that describe the effects of abuse
- scriptures that tell us what to do about abuse
(ch. 2 of my book Not Under Bondage discusses scriptural instuction on how to respond to abuse),
- The scriptures are from the English Standard Version unless otherwise noted.
- Some words of scripture are in bold type; I did this because the words are particularly relevant to domestic abuse.
- I’ve added a few comments:- short comments are in italics; long comments are in normal type but are indented.
- The comments are my own thoughts unless they relate to Greek or Hebrew words, in which case they are taken from Strong’s Concordance, and/or from Zodhiates’ Lexical Aids (found in the back of Zodhiates’ Hebrew Greek Key Study Bible.)
- Some verses appear under more than one heading. This is because they can have significance for more than one category of abuse, or because I wanted to make different comments on them in the different sections.
- Spelling is British, not American.
- Spiritual abuse is not included because the passages are too numerous to list. For a couple of major examples, see Ezekiel 34 and Matthew 23.
- List compiled by Barbara Roberts in 2001 and published at cryingoutforjustice.wordpress.com in Sept 2012. Many thanks to the anonymous reader who converted the scriptures from the KJV to the ESV.